Living an active lifestyle means being willing to go on adventures. And, if you’re coming up short on ideas of places you can go to get the best adventure experiences, then you’ve come to the right place. Here are some of the best adventure trips you can take here in the United States!
Adventure Isn’t Always Nature
Before listing all the awesome places you can go to experience great adventure, don’t forget that adventure means fun. Not everyone will find hiking or white water rafting fun, but that doesn’t mean you can’t have a great adventure any other way. Of course, even short-distance travels mean you should invest in items such as silicone rings and quality walking shoes, but that doesn’t mean you need to run out and spend thousands of dollars on rock climbing or camping gear.
Adventure can be anything from visiting a new museum or exploring an abandoned hospital (without trespassing, of course!). What matters most is that you enjoy the activities you do, no matter where they are or the person you’re with!
Best Places for Adventure in the USA
All right, now that’s out of the way, here are some of the best places for adventure in the U.S.! Visiting any one of these places will ensure you have a fun experience full of adventure and excitement.
1. Las Vegas, Nevada. The entertainment capital of the world is absolutely one of the best adventure trips to take in the U.S.! From casinos, bright lights, museums, bars and even hiking through the desert, there’s so much to do in such a small area. Watch a stock car race, learn about the history of the Italian mafia’s role in developing Las Vegas and even get a tattoo all within 50 miles. With so much to do in Vegas, it’s no wonder why so many people live there year-round! It’s also a close distance to California, so you can easily take a road trip or fly to one of the airports there.
Source: Sean Pavone/Shutterstock.com
2. Washington, DC. What would this list be if the nation’s capital wasn’t included? Washington DC is the place to go for anyone interested in the history of the nation. From touring the White House to visiting the Smithsonian and even the African American History Museum, DC has a variety of things to offer. But, even non-history buffs will enjoy their time in DC. Featuring a variety of nature parks, bars, and other fun experiences, DC has a lot to experience. Definitely an adventure for sure!
3. Denver, Colorado. Visit some of the highest elevations in the U.S. by taking a trip to Denver! Breweries, cannabis dispensaries, and hiking abound throughout the Denver area. Going in the time between spring and summer is a good idea — you might get some glimpses of snow as the temps warm up and the atmosphere shifts, but you’re less likely to experience a blizzard. Perfect cardigan weather!
4. Boston, Massachusetts. If you thought DC was the place of our nation’s history, think again. Boston is absolutely one of the best adventures for history buffs out there. From the Boston Harbor and infamous site of the Tea Party to the start of Paul Revere’s Midnight Ride, Boston has everything. And, for anyone interested in the occult, it’s a short ride to Salem during the fall to experience all they have to offer for Halloween.
5. New Orleans, Louisiana. Of course, nothing beats New Orleans when it comes to spooky! But, ghosts and ghouls aren’t the only things New Orleans has to offer. Traveling through swamps, visiting some of the best restaurants in the nation, and catching a Saints game are all other activities you can do right in the heart of New Orleans. Cajun food is a huge part of the culture of New Orleans, where French food often gets a Haitian twist. The flavors are truly unique — perfect for anyone looking for a culinary adventure.
6. The Grand Canyon. The Grand Canyon spans a few states here in the U.S. Choosing any one of them is always a great idea! From white water rafting to hiking to rock climbing, the Grand Canyon can make for a great trip full of adventure. Make a road trip out of it and visit small towns in between or art installations in the desert for lots of great pictures.
7. Maui, Hawaii. Hawaii is on many people’s travel bucket lists, and for good reason. There’s so much you can do there! Whether you visit the Dole Pineapple Plantation over in Oahu or you catch some of the biggest surfing waves on Maui’s North Shore, you can find a variety of things to do across the set of islands in the state. Shopping, boating, zip lining, and rock climbing are just a few of the other things you can do on all the different islands.
8. Juneau, Alaska. While it will be freezing, Alaska is definitely one of the best places for adventure in the U.S. Glaciers, polar bears, caribou, and indigenous history is all around Alaska, just waiting for you to explore. You can enjoy the delicacies often enjoyed by some of the local indigenous groups, and, if you’re lucky, you might even get to witness the
9. Miami, Florida. Enjoy some tropical drinks on the Miami Strip and catch some rays on the beach for a fun adventure experience. If you’ll be in Florida for longer than a few days, consider combining your trip between Miami and Orlando.
That way, you can visit the Disney parks, Gatorland, and any of the other awesome places that Orlando has to offer in addition to the beaches of Miami. You’ll come back refreshed from all that fun in the sun!