Coral Gables is one of the most spectacular and picturesque cities, situated a few miles southwest of Miami. It was planned by visionary developer George Merrick in 1920. It is also known as The City Beautiful and Garden City. Coral Gables city is profoundly popular among tourists due to its lush greenery and rare flora-fauna.
The City Beautiful is a Mediterranean-themed planned community widely famous for its historic and affluent character reinforced by its popular landmarks, strict zoning, and tourist sights.
For all nature admirers, Coral Gables is an ideal destination to appreciate nature’s beauty. It has everything that a traveler is looking for to chill. Miami is globally known for its beaches, botanical gardens, thrilling water sports, and exciting nightlife and, Coral Gables is the epicenter of all such activities.
The climate of the city is typically pleasant and soothing. Among the beach lovers, coral Gables still hold the same charm as previous. This city is a classic example of modernization and heritage values. It still carries ancient roots that make it unique from other places. Its rich multiculturalism fascinates visitors from all around the globe.
How did Coral Gables get the term The City Beautiful?
The birth of the term the city beautiful was gained after The City Beautiful Movement. George Merrick is associated with the creation of the city. It gained this term because of its rich flora and fauna, lush green treescapes, and uniform architectural styles.
The City Beautiful Movement was a reform philosophy of North American architecture and urban planning that flourished during the 1890s and early 1900s. The main objective of this movement was to beautify the city and its administration.
When George Merrick started developing the Metropolitan city Coral Gables in 1921, he was highly influenced by The City Beautiful Movement. He was well aware of the significance of urban designed plans that create community wellbeing.
Popular Tourist Spots Near Coral Gables
Miami is a beautiful island country with countless exotic cities. Coral Gables is one of the star cities of Miami that is a hub of fascinating beaches, islands, coral reefs, marine life and, grand hotels.
The tag that this city gets is all because of its natural beauty and fabulous tourist spots. Among the international visitors, The City Beautiful is immensely renowned. This city has so much to offer you that what a traveler needs.
It is a pedestrian-friendly destination, which means one can walk all around to explore this pleasant city. Here you would find a neat and clean walk path, a cycling track where you can walk peacefully or either do cycling.
There are countless popular vacation spots nearby Coral Gables, though we are going to share the most exotic destinations that you should add to your bucket list.
- Fairchild Tropical Botanic Garden:- It is spread in 83 acres of area with rare and exotic flora. This botanical garden has extensive collections of unusual tropical plants, including vines, flowering trees, palms, and cycads. The Fairchild tropical botanical garden’s amenities include a museum, a learning center, and an onsite laboratory. Chocolate Festival is one of the chief attractions of this place that is held annually.
- Coral Gables Merrick House:- Originally built in the year 1906. Coral Gables Merrick House is a historic home named after its architecture and the founder of the city. This home is situated on Coral Way in Coral Gables. Property tours are organized twice a week and led by experienced historians who are enthusiastic and knowledgeable.
- Bill Baggs Cape Florida State Park: The park was named after Bill Baggs, the former Miami Times editor. It is near the Key Biscayne island of Florida. This state park is highly popular among tourists because it consists of various fascinating activities like bicycling, hiking, wildlife viewing, fishing, paddling, camping boats, and many more. If you are lucky enough then, you will be able to see the cute raccoons as well. The large and beautiful white lighthouse is the central attraction of this place.
- Coral Gables Museum:- This is one of the most explored spots in Coral Gables. It preserves the history and heritage value of the city gracefully. Coral Gables Museum is a well-known historic site and popular among history and heritage lovers. It is spread over thousands of acres with magnificent indoor and outdoor locations. To explore this extraordinary museum, you can hire a bike or a canoe that takes you on a tour of the museum at reasonable rates.
- Fisher Island:– For beach lovers, it is a divine paradise. This island is surrounded by the sea all around and full of exciting and rare flora and fauna. This island is famous for its natural beauty and thrilling water activities. Fisher Island is three-mile away from the mainland of South Florida. In recent years, Fisher island became the center of attraction for its picturesque locations and breathtaking beaches. It is a hub of lavish resorts and hotels with a sea-facing view.
- Crandon Park:- It is an urban park in metropolitan Miami city with lovely beaches, waterfalls, and a nature reserve. Crandon Park is the most explored place in Coral Gables. Its sandy beaches are full of breathtaking views and ready to give you a never forgetting experience. This park is full of countless palm trees that add more charm to the beauty of this place.
- Venetian Pool:- Venetian Pool is known as the historic US public swimming pool in Coral Gables. It is one of the chief attractions of the city. There is a man-made island that is the highlight of the place. The area is covered with lush greenery and splendid waterfalls. It is also a children-friendly location where your children can have great fun. Venetian Pool was also added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1981.
- Lowe Art Museum:- Coral Gables is loaded with various memorable and iconic museums that preserve the rich heritage of the city and the state of Florida state. The Lowe Art Museum is one of them. It is a visual art museum opened in 1950 and operated by the University of Miami. It holds the history of the renaissance, Baroque arts, Art of Africa, and Art of Asia. This is an ideal place for all those people who have a keen interest in history, culture, and art.
- Nixon Beach Sandbar:- Coral Gables is blessed with countless immensely beautiful beaches and is full of life. Sandar beach is located in the south of Miami state. Among beach and water sports lovers, Nixon Beach Sandbar is truly famous. It was named after the former president of America Sir Richard Nixon. If you want to relax at the beachside and need some sunbath, then this place should be on your bucket list.
6 Amazing Activities to do in Coral Gables
Well, vacations are incomplete without thrilling activities. Coral Gables is a powerpack destination for sports and beach lovers. From astonishing sports activities to nature trails, you can enjoy many activities such as:-
Shopping at Merrick Park
One of the most renewed shopping malls in Coral Gables is none other than Shop at Merrick Park. This grand shopping mall has all the reputed brands, outlets, and tasty food courts. It also has a seven-screen movie theater.
Ride on Iconic Coral Gables Trolley
This exciting ride is free of cost. Yes, you heard right, this is free of cost experience. Isn’t it an amazing thing to do? This service is provided by the transport department of Florida. It is the best and affordable way to conveniently explore the city.
Have dinner under the stars
It is the most romantic getaway for couples. Just imagine, you and your partner sit near the beach under the stars and have a romantic dinner date. Some various resorts and cafes provide the best sea view with delicious food.
- 10 Things to Know Before You Visit Dubai Safari Park
- 10 best souvenirs to bring back from Thailand 2022
- Create your holiday magic with the perfect locations in 2021
- 50 Stunning Places To Visit In leh Ladakh 2021
Do some adventurous things
Bill Baggs Cape Florida State Park provides numerous sport and exciting activities like hiking, bicycling, wildlife safari, rollerblading, paddle boarding, and fishing. For all adventure enthusiasts, Coral Gables is an ideal spot. It gives a life experience that sticks forever with you.
Explore the sandy beaches and enjoy the astonishing sunset
Coral Gables is known for its long sandy beaches and tall palm trees. Matheson Hammock is the most crowded and popular beach in Miami city. You can either have a delicious lunch over the beach or do some water sports like surfing, cruise ride, or Scuba diving.
Have a date night at the grand cruise
For a romantic date night, what do you want? Number one, perfect outfit and then romantic location. Coral Gables’s beaches offer you exotic cruises that have all the luxurious facilities. Coral Gables offers great cruise rides for tourists where they can enjoy their time with their close ones.
How to Reach Coral Gables?
Coral Gables is well connected to the rest of the world. This city is just near the Miami International Airport. It is also the home of Miami University.
Thus, you can easily reach it here. It takes 12 minutes to reach Coral Gables from Miami International Airport. You can either hire a taxi or public transportation. Buses and taxis are frequently available outside the terminus gate.
Miami Dade Transit operates a bus from Miami International Airport to Douglas Road Metrorail Station every twenty minutes.
It takes around 31 minutes to reach and, the cost is approximately $4-$5. Instead, you can take a train from West Palm Beach to Coral Gables Via West Palm Beach ITC at BAY L, WPM Station, Metrorail Transfer Station and, Tri-Rail Station Rail Southbound.
Best Time to Visit The City Beautiful
Coral Gables is a coastal city with a Tropical Monsoon Climate. It is just above the tropic of cancer. Thus, the summer is hot and humid. Winter is usually short but pleasant. Summers are not an ideal time to explore the city.
Early November to late April is the perfect time to visit here. Coral Gable’s experiences winter from November to February. You can enjoy the classic beaches, wine farms, grand buildings, and tasty authentic Miami cuisine.
During summers, the average temperature of the city lies between 30-40 degrees celsius. The precipitation rate is below 4%. August is the hottest month with an average temperature of 31.66 degrees celsius. So, organize accordingly to this frame. It will allow you to enjoy your vacations without any obstacles.
Is Coral Gables Worth Visiting?
If you are asking from us, is Coral Gables worth visiting? We would recommend you to pay a visit. It has everything for everyone. From family vacations to honeymoon travels, Coral Gables is truly the perfect destination.
With exciting locations and beautiful sandy beaches, Coral Gables is a top-notch destination in Miami province. Its nightlife and mouth-watering food are perceived worldwide.
Coral Gables is The City Beautiful and justifies this term gracefully. Once you visit this place, you can’t stop yourself from appreciating the charm of Miami’s city Coral Gables.
According to some travel consultants, Coral Gables is worth visiting and has all the capabilities to refresh your mind and soul.